The decor is a little bit kitsch, but you definitely don't go to S&M for the atmosphere. There are other things on the menu besides bangers and mash, but why would you come there and not indulge in the namesake food?
I chose the sausage made with beer, and it came atop delicious vegetable flecked mashed potatoes and gravy. Perfect for such a gloomy, jet-lagged day!
Want to make your own version? Check out this simple recipe from recipezaar:
- 6 plump sausages
- 4-6 large potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 onions, finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 glass white wine
- 1/2 chicken stock cube, dissolved in 300 ml water
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Grill or fry the sausages.
- Meanwhile, boil the potatoes until tender.
- Drain potatoes and mash with milk, butter, salt and nutmeg until smooth.
- For the gravy, heat oil in a frying pan and sauté onions until nicely browned.
- Stir in the flour and then the mustard, followed by the wine. A few seconds later add the stock and allow to thicken.
- Pile the mash onto a plate, followed by the sausages and lovely spoonfuls of the gravy.