|Montreal Photo Credit: Richard Taylor|
So for our upcoming visit to Montreal, I have spent hours curating a list of possible dining options. Always a stickler for data, I don't just settle for one glowing review either. I prefer to triangulate. Yes, I'm bonkers, but as Mr. AT can attest, I make excellent restaurant choices after all that obsessing, and we're rarely let down.
Here's the actual text from the email I just sent to our travel companions:
Our trip to Montreal is rapidly approaching...hurray! Before I can even think about what we'll see, I have to think about what we eat. I have a one track mind! So I've sent info before, but just as a reminder, here are places that I'm hearing a lot about. I'm not sure if you want to weigh in or if you prefer I pick.
Unless you strongly object, I'd like to suggest that we definitely go to Au Pied de Cochon, preferably on Saturday night. It was recommended in every single source I checked and sounds AMAZING!
Au Pied de Cochon (recommended by NYtimes, Conde Nast, Bon Appetit, F&W, Frommers) - meat centric
As for other options, we need a Friday and Sunday dinner, and perhaps one nice lunch/brunch.I might suggest L'express for a quintessential French bistro vibe for one of the nights, but I'm totally up for suggestions (including ones not on this list) Never sure how much research others want to do!
- Club Chasse et Peche (recommended by Nytimes, Conde Nast) - a twist on surf and turf http://www.concierge.com/
- Joe Beef - surf and turf (recommended by Conde Nast, Bon Appetit) http://www.concierge.com/
- L'Express - french bistro ((recommended by Nytimes, Conde Nast, Frommers) http://www.concierge.com/
- McKieran - good for lunch and Saturday brunch, side by side sister restaurant with Joe Beef (recommended by Bon Appetit, F&W) http://www.bonappetit.com/
magazine/2010/12/montreal_ travel_guide -or - http://www.foodandwine.com/ restaurants/mckiernan
- DNA - Italian (recommended by F&W) http://www.foodandwine.com/
- Kitchen Galerie (recommended by Bon Appetite, F&W) http://www.foodandwine.com/
So anyone been to Montreal? I'm open to suggestions, so let me know if you've tried any of these places out or have other ideas!